1/11/2011 - Boaz is a talker. Most of you know this about him. He is also a singer. When he goes to bed at night, he is a talker AND a singer. (which could make the transition to sharing a room with Cainan an interesting one!) Last night he laid in his bed talking and singing for 2 hours. He went to bed at 7:30 and at 9:30 he was still at it. Luke went back to check on him when we heard some unusual thuds (books hitting the wall) and Boaz told him that he just wasn't tired. Luke told him it was time to go to bed and once the door was closed, Boaz started crying. "I'm not very tired!" I looked at Luke and told him that if I was a nice mom, I'd let him get up and watch the football game with daddy. (It was however the BCS championship!) But- I never want to start something that I'm going to regret later... will he want to get back up every night and stay up late?
After another 10 minutes of crying, Luke asked if we should just get him up. I reluctantly agreed and Luke went in and carried him out to the living room with us. I was working on Papa Murphy's mailings, so he snuggled with luke in the recliner. The first thing out of his sweet little mouth was, "Sorry, Daddy. Sorry, Mommy. Sorry I wasn't tired." What a sweetheart! I melted and was thankful that he got some snuggle time with daddy. We let him stay up for an hour, and probably 6 different times during that hour I was near tears at how darn cute he is. He had a blast watching the game with dad and immitating everything dad said and did. They read a book, they did a puzzle, and I loved every minute of it. I tucked him back in at 10:30 and he told me, "Ganks, Mom. Ganks (thanks) for letting me get up for awhile."
I'm thankful to God for those precious moments of daddy/son time. They've been rare lately with luke's work schedule. I'm learning I need to let go of my 'rules' sometimes and just let life happen. I'm glad that Luke asked if we should just let him get up. And while it may mess up our routine tonight... I think it was well worth it!!
6 comments:
Awww... Becky I love this story! Thanks for sharing. It encourages me to exhibit more grace. BTW, have you read Grace-Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel? This story could be in that book. :)
Becky, you seriously brought tears to my eyes as I was reading this. What a precious moment. I agree -- sometimes we have to let go of our schedules and routines and live in that moment! What an awesome memory for you guys!!
Oh Becky! I love that story!!! And yes, sometimes it's hard to break the rules, but I agree that's when the best memories are made sometimes... It's just hard to know when you break them and when to stick to your guns. :)
And I love that Boaz says "Ganks"... that's exactly how Ellie says it and it couldn't be any cuter!!!
Fun days...they are just flying by.
good job friend, that is so awesome that you let go of the routine for the night. those are the moments our kids will remember:)
LOVE IT!! You may need to consider having your precious new baby share a room with Cainan for a couple of years:)
I struggle with questioning myself about breaking the rules tha t I have created! What neat stories, thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment