6/7/11- Myka is here!! Here's a recap of the eventful day... (disclaimer... 2 of the pictures below are of her being born via c-section! skim pictures quickly if you don't want to see it!)
I'd been having lots and lots of contractions the past couple of days and called Kim (my midwife) the previous night to let her know. She asked that I come in Tuesday morning to get checked and we thought that if I'd progressed the way we thought, I might have a c-section at noon. I got into the hospital about 7:30 and they proceeded to hook me to an IV and a monitor. Got checked and was only at 4+cm. (really thought I'd be 5-6) Bummer!! I was only 37 1/2 weeks along, so they aren't real eager to do a c-section (and legally can't) unless there is some real proof of being in labor. They didn't want me to walk around and stir things up, but wanted me to lay there, hooked to fluids that would slow contractions down if I wasn't in labor, and see what happened. My contractions always reduce when I lay down and rest, so I wasn't real excited about that plan. Drs came back and checked me again about noon... and I had progressed to 5+. They checked again about 3pm, and I had progressed a bit more. I was really really wishing they'd just make the call and get this thing done!! The triage room I was in was tiny and claustrophobic... and I'd heard just about enough about Anthony Weiner on all the daytime talkshows! :) At 5:00, after 2 hours of contractions coming every 2-4 minutes, they finally decided that I was indeed in labor and we were off and running!!! Here's the wonderful room I spent 8 hours laying in.... Our friends had a baby the day before, so Luke was glad to run over to their room a couple times and get a break from this place!
They wheeled me back to the OR at about 5:45 to start getting prepped for the c-section. I've been praying for weeks that the spinal would go better than it did last time. With Cainan, it took 4 different tries, my legs were kicking involutarily, it felt like lightening shooting down my legs, and they leaked spinal fluid. I was begging for them to just knock me out. I sat on the table this time and was seriously praying and pleading with God for this anethesiologist to get it right. And he did on the first try!! I wanted to cry and profusely thanked him for a job well done!! Drs came in to get things situated, Luke arrived in his scrubs, and away we went! Myka made her presence known at 6:12pm.
Here's our beautiful Myka Michelle. (Michelle is my middle name)
Our lightest baby yet- by a pound!! She weighed in at 8 lbs 5.2 oz. She was 20 1/2 inches long.
Luke is so calm under pressure... I love having this man beside me during the births of our children. Here's proud papa before we headed back to our room.
We got back to our recovery room a little after 7pm. We decided that I was too loopy and it was too late for the boys to come and visit. We had them do normal bedtime at Grandma & Grandpa Bartlett's and we'd see them in the morning. My parents weren't able to come that night either, so we anticipated a quiet night. We made a few phone calls to family and then sent out a couple of texts. Luke was in charge of texting our small group... who just happened to be down the hall visiting our friends who'd had their baby the previous day!! I told Luke they might as well swing by our room also and get two visits done while they were there... as long as they didn't mind me being totally loopy and out of it!! :) So- here are a few of our first visitors- and great friends!! Shelby, Tim, (& their baby Tobias)...
Kris (and Mark)... who just had their boy, Jace, the previous day!
Mark, Jonny & Katie. Katie is one of the most helpful people I know in the world. She was getting me cool washcloths for my neck, water to drink, etc. I sure do love my friends! And friends- I apologize for anything crazy I said in your presence 1 hour after surgery!!! :)
After they left, Luke and I enjoyed calling a few more family members and snuggling with our precious little girl. A GIRL!! I can't really explain it, but I definitely look at her a bit differently than I did the boys. She is absolutely perfect in every way and we are so thankful to have her here and part of our family.
We love you, Myka!!
3 comments:
So glad she's here safe and sound. Welcome baby Myka!
So cute.....and I just love labor/delivery stories! Awesome C-section pics :) Congrats again!
what a beautiful post and a beautiful little girl. congratulations!!!
Post a Comment