Monday, June 14, 2010

a wedding and a mess

5/29 - One of Luke's managers got married in Cedar Rapids today. We knew the wedding would be pretty short, so we packed up the boys and took them with us. The day ended up being quite comedic. Those of you with young kids understand how it takes all day to prepare to do something- packing bags, snacks, extra clothes, etc.


We attempted to get Boaz to take an early nap and put him down at 12:30pm. He fought it and fought it- and didn't fall asleep until 1:50... we had to wake him up to leave at 2:00! So, needless to say, he was running on very little sleep and was a bit cranky and on edge.


I put him straight into the car from naps. About halfway to the wedding, I was getting out the wedding attire so we'd be ready to change him and I realized we forgot his shoes!! We didn't have much extra time to spare... luckily there was a Walmart just down the street that I ran into while Luke changed Boaz in the car. We ended up with these shoes- which were so huge on him! He'll wear these for the next 3 years I think. The wedding was pretty casual, so we probably could have gotten by without shoes. But, we made it to the destination just in time for the wedding to start!


Luke & Cainan waiting for the wedding to begin. We brought a new dinosaur for Boaz to play with during the ceremony. It was a triceratops and I should have examined it a bit closer.... as the bridesmaids were walking down the aisle, Boaz discovered a button that made it growl! We had to set it on the table and wait patiently to play with it later. That didn't go over too well! All week we practiced how we behave at a wedding... I'd pretend we were at the wedding and Boaz would sit really still and quiet. Then I'd tell him the wedding was over and we'd clap and cheer! He did a great job being quiet... not so much still, but he was pretty quiet!

We'd planned to stay for the reception afterward (in the same place as the wedding), but we waited around for an hour and the dinner still hadn't started. Cainan was tired and cranky, Boaz was tired and cranky, and mom & dad were getting tired of trying to get them to act properly! So, we left, drove through Culvers for dinner, and headed home... happy the boys made it as long as they did! I really wanted to get a family picture of all of us that night, but it didn't happen before the meltdowns started. So- here's a picture of Boaz's wedding attire. All my three boys looked really sharp!


And here they are after they all changed out of the wedding clothes. What a good looking crew!  I think this is one of my new favorite pictures!They were sitting in the chair together and Boaz asked Daddy about his dress socks... and told him they looked silly! :) Glad Boaz has a bit of fashion sense already.


6/2 - A few days after the wedding, Boaz was still talking about what happened. Here's a video of him telling me that he got married! He was pretending this necklace was his ring. I laugh at all the things he comes up with during the course of a day.





5/29 - Boaz comes into our room in the morning to wake me up. This morning, he walked to the side of the bed and told me "I make a big mess." I asked him if he'd wet his diaper or something and he replied "It's in mine room. I just make a big mess alllll over the place." I knew it couldn't be good. I walked in to find diaper cream spread all over his carpet. Apparently he'd squirted it on the floor, realized that it was probably naughty, and had taken a pajama shirt and tried to rub it out... which only rubbed it in the carpet more!

I did some research and found a three-step method for trying to get the oily goop off the floor- using some good 'ol elbow grease, baking soda, a toothbrush, and dishsoap. It took a long time, but his carpet looks pretty decent again. We had a long talk about not making messes in your room, and a long talk about how it's naughty to squirt out the diaper cream... but I couldn't punish him too much when it was my fault the cream was left on his floor!! Here's a short video of Cainan rolling... just thought it was cute and figured I'd tack it on here. Thanks for reading this long post!



1 comment:

Heather's Henhouse said...

Oh what a day. We have a wedding this weekend that I think will have a similiar story. It's at 1pm (right at nap time), I'm a bridesmaid so Phil's on his own, and it's in Ohio. Recipe for some chaos.